General claims management
Under the General indemnity Scheme, we manage a wide range of claims, such as claims relating to slips, trips and falls, road traffic collisions, workplace stress, bullying, harassment and aggressive behaviour, abuse and assaults, and defective equipment. When a claim is made against a State Authority under the General Indemnity Scheme, the State Authority remains the legal defendant and we take over responsibility for resolving the claim.
Claims are managed by our general claims managers and claims assistants, with support from in-house or panel firm solicitors, as required, from their initial notification through to final resolution.
Our approach to assessing the liability of State Authority and resolving the claim is informed by our investigation of the claim, including an examination of medical records, review of any incident or investigation reports and detailed consultation with relevant witnesses, as well as a review of the relevant case law, expert reports and solicitor and counsel advices, where relevant.
Our role includes:
- Conducting thorough and timely investigations of claims to determine liability
- Commissioning medical and other expert reports
- Applying a notional reserve/contingent liability to the claim
- Developing a claims resolution approach and making decisions relating to claim resolution
- Appointing in-house solicitors or panel firm solicitors, where necessary, to assist with the claim
- Continuously reviewing claims and monitoring reserves/contingent liabilities
- Offering and engaging in alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation, and in settlement negotiations
- Preparing for and going to trial where the claim or level of compensation sought is disputed
- Liaising with the State Authority during the claim resolution process and notifying it about the claim outcome
- Collaborating with our enterprise risk managers to develop learning from closed claims
State Authority Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to some common questions about general claims resolution and our unit.