National Incident Report Form
To improve data quality and enhance incident reporting, the “Clinical Care” section of the National Incident Report Form (NIRF) – 01 Person will be redesigned in the coming months.
The clinical procedures and birth specific procedures sections of the NIRF 01 will be updated, in line with feedback from health and social care services.
The changes will:
- Make NIRF 01 more user-friendly, with additional options available and more intuitive pathways for reporting
- Improve data quality with higher-level options to choose from
- Allow for additional information to be gathered for each incident
What will change in NIRF 01?
The key changes are:
- The incident classification Birth Specific Procedures will be changed to Labour / Delivery
- The incident classification Clinical Procedures will be replaced with three new categories: a)Diagnosis b)Care Management c) Surgical/Medical Procedures
The updated NIRF 01 will allow for the name of a surgical/medical procedure to be captured; a second procedure can be captured if a service user required a return to theatre; and health and social care services can pinpoint at what stage of the procedure, and during what care process, an incident occurred. The current NIRF 01 will remain in place until the new redesigned NIRF 01 is issued later in 2021.
NIMS, the National Incident Management System, has also undergone some changes. NIMS has been upgraded to a new version of the platform since 10 May 2021.
What are the main benefits of this change?
- NIMS users benefit from an enhanced security model, entry workflows and template capabilities, including significant improvement in the look and feel of the NIMS application
- The updated version of NIMS no longer requires Microsoft Silverlight, and is now accessible using most modern browsers including Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox. Users should no longer access NIMS using Internet Explorer
- NIMS still operates largely as before and users are not expected to have any difficulty using the new screens This important upgrade enhances overall user experience of NIMS and helps to ensure that NIMS is ready for future developments and improvements to benefit users.
This important upgrade enhances overall user experience of NIMS and helps to ensure that NIMS is ready for future developments and improvements to benefit users.