The State Claims Agency and HSE National Quality and Patient Safety Directorate jointly hosted a virtual event on Thursday, 15 September to mark World Patient Safety Day 2022.
The theme for this year's World Patient Safety Day was medication safety.
This jointly hosted virtual symposium explored the theme of 'Medication Without Harm', discussing how medication risk can be mitigated and highlighting the patient perspective and opportunities for patients and families to play an active role in the safe use of medication.
The webinar was attended by over 250 delegates, including clinical practitioners, patients, carers and family members, and those involved in the design, management or delivery of health care services.
- Bernie O'Reilly, Patients for Patient Safety, discussed a key national initiative to empower patients to be medication aware
- Anita Hogg, Medicines Optimisation Innovation Centre, talked about the Medicines Optimisation Innovation Centre, the regional centre in Northern Ireland dedicated to delivering medicines optimisation to the people of Northern Ireland
- Emma-Jane Coyle and Dr John Garvey , iSIMPATHY, provided a joint presentation on iSIMPATHY, an EU-funded project running until March 2023 across the three jurisdictions of Northern Ireland, Scotland and the border areas of Ireland, to ensure the best and most sustainable outcomes with medication use in patients taking multiple medicines
- Mark McCullagh, State Claims Agency, highlighted the key data on medication incidents reported by Irish acute hospitals (2019 – 2020) and learning opportunities for health and social care organisations to prevent future incidents and subsequent claims through risk management
Webinar recording and presentation slides
The webinar recording is now available to view.
The available presentation slides can be found below.
- Anita Hogg, NI Lead for Medicines Optimisation Resource Efficiency, Medicines Optimisation Innovation Centre - The Medicines Optimisation Innovation Centre Download 2.84 MB
- Emma-Jane Coyle, iSIMPATHY pharmacist - iSIMPATHY Download 2.63 MB
- Dr John Garvey, GP - Person-centred Medicines Review in General Practice: iSIMPATHY Project Download 0.56 MB
- Mark McCullagh, Clinical Risk Advisor, State Claims Agency - Medication Incidents Reported by Irish Acute Hospitals (2019 – 2020) Download 0.54 MB
Finally, if you require CPD certification from attending this webinar, please contact CRU@stateclaims.ie to discuss.